
We tried a new recipe, Root Beer Cookies , last night. They are a little weird at first, but we ended up liking them. I would say they are in the molasses/ginger cookie family. I think they definitely need the frosting, other people in the family liked them without.
We also tried another new recipe, Chicken Nachos, from Rookie Cookie
They were really good and we will be making them again soon.
Here's the recipe (with the changes I made in red)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup prepared salsa (I used homemade)
1 large bag tortilla chips
1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded (I included Monterey Jack)
1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz can corn, drained
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced (omitted)
Handful chopped green onions or cilantro (I used a bunch of green onions and included Cilantro too)
-Set oven to 400 degrees.
-Set a large pot of water on to boil. Once boiling, add the chicken breasts. Boil until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken breasts from the water and set on a cutting board to cool. (I cooked mine in some olive oil in a skillet and sprinkled with taco seasoning and black pepper*, I don't like to boil chicken.)
-Once cool enough to handle, shred and put into a medium bowl.
-Pour salsa over the chicken and toss to coat.
-Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray. (I used a 9x13 dish instead, next time I'll use the cookie sheet. The cheese on the bottom layers didn't melt all the way and some of the chips got soggy.)
-Add half of the bag of tortilla chips and spread into an even layer.
-Sprinkle on half of the shredded chicken, half of the black beans, half of the corn and half of the onion. Sprinkle on half of the shredded cheese. Repeat again, beginning with the rest of the tortilla chips.
-Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
-Sprinkle on green onions or cilantro as garnish. Serve with more salsa if needed. (I added these before baking.)
*I only use fresh cracked pepper. In my opinion- The stuff that comes ground doesn't even compare and isn't even worth using.


2 comments:
The nachos sound delicious. I'm with you about boiling chicken, it just smells bad. I'd probably take a lazy approach and just buy a rotisserie chicken.
The cookies sound a little weird, but I'm all over the nachos! Sounds like a easy weekend dinner that the kids could help with.
Post a Comment