(These are some of the bags I've been making, you can click on the picture to see it bigger so you can see the details better. The top right is the All People Quilt, 2 tie style.)I have been sewing drawstring bags like crazy. (It's my new addiction with all my spare time that I've found since starting to use Google Reader, and a great way to use my fabric stash.) I have been making the ones with just one tie, and also the two tie style like this (I mentioned them in the Earth Day post too, now I've actually tried them). I've decided I like the two tie style better. I think these are a great project for kids who are learning to sew.
I've been wanting to get away from using Ziploc bags in my organizing, mainly in the kids' rooms. I'm going to use the drawstring bags for anything that has pieces that I don't want getting mixed in with all of the other toys, or to replace broken cardboard boxes. Here's an idea of how to keep track of puzzle pieces.
I've also made a few as gift bags. It turns out to be part of the gift. I read about someone making cute bags to use when she gave away her homemade bread and jam. I would love to get a little care package like that! I'm going to make some out of strawberry fabric and give Homemade bread and strawberry jam as Teacher gifts for the end of the year. I think I may add a fabric flower on the ones for females. (A few other ideas I had for the gifts are: A big batch of cookies, an activity bag with a coordinating Crayon Roll or Pencil Roll and a coloring book, a boredom buster bag for kids who have a new sibling or are going on a long road trip, spa items for a new Mom, etc.)
I'm planning to make one of these laundry bags for when we travel. It will be fun to have something cuter than the pinkish/purplish one that we use from my husband's college days. (I do think they need some straps as well as the ties, since it will be pretty heavy when full.)

A different type of bag that I like to make is a Zippered Pouch (great tutorial here). If you are afraid of zippers, this easy project will help you overcome that. I use them for so many things, besides cosmetics, like in my diaper bag, or for teaching supplies for my church lessons (chalk, magnets). I even made one using a vinyl tablecloth for my travel bag so I don't have to worry about leaks. I saw an idea somewhere to place either a vinyl window in the front, or sew on a vinyl pocket for a label (again, something I'm going to use for the kids' toys). This too could be used as a gift idea, maybe a really feminine print with some lip gloss and nail polish inside for a little girls' birthday. I think maybe that's what I'll do for all of my nieces for Christmas next year (this year I did the Crayon Rolls, except I used some stamp markers I found at Ikea instead of the crayons).
Another handmade organizing item that I've seen lately, and want to try, is fabric baskets like these and these. I'm going to make some to replace the wicker baskets for my changing table. Search for "Fabric Basket" on Flikr to see tons more samples.
OK- That was a ton of ideas, now go forth and sew. Let me know if you do any of these projects.


No comments:
Post a Comment